CNN and Fox reported on four separate attacks by insurgents today. Fox ran an AP story and CNN did their own. CNN’s headline was “Car bomb explodes near Allawi party headquarters.” That attack got the headline and the first part of the article. The Fox headline was more general with “Bombs Kill 16 in
* Insurgent attacks have prompted calls from many Iraqis to delay the January vote.
* Goran [Kahsro Goran, deputy governor of
* Last week, the Iraqi Islamic Party, a leading voice of Iraq's minority Sunni Muslims, announced it was pulling out of -- but not boycotting -- the elections. In a statement, party director Tariq al-Hashimy said one reason for the withdrawal was "the need to provide the proper security conditions in order to hold an honest and free elections."
* "This is another example of how the criminals and terrorists — attempting to thwart Iraq's efforts to conduct free and fair elections — have no regard for their fellow countrymen," the government said.
* On Sunday, prominent Shiite leaders belonging to the Unified Iraqi Alliance — a mainstream Shiite coalition running in the election — called for unity with Sunni Arabs wanting to delay the vote but insisted it be held despite the violence.
* Shaalan [Iraqi Defense Minister] said during a visit to
The Shiite leaders, who are backed by
* A spokesman for the Independent Electoral Commission in
Links to the articles: