Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Time Out for an Explanation

As this blog evolves I have settled on three types of comparisons between CNN and Fox News, as found on their web sites:

(1) Same event, same article (e.g., both AP articles), but different headlines. It is interesting sometimes to look at different words that are used for the headlines. It can be an indication of bias on the part of the news source.

(2) Same event but different articles. I look at how they report on the same event, noting differences in wording and emphasis.

(3) News topic emphasis. As I look for examples of the above, I occasionally notice that one source will have a number of articles over time on one topic and the other will have few, or none, for that topic. There are lots of examples of single stories that are covered exclusively by one source. In fact, there are too many to mention. However, I will try and note examples of continued coverage by one source but not the other.

If you have comparisons that you would like to see, let me know.

No comments: