Saturday, February 03, 2007

Degree of Sexiness: CNN vs Fox vs MSNBC vs ABC vs CBS

It appeared to me that there is a tendency for FoxNews.com to include more sex-related stories and images than CNN. So, I decided to analyze the sexiness of the various news .coms to look at the degree to which they use sex to attract readers. I created a "Degree of Sexiness Index" where I rate just the home pages. The point values I assigned were as follows:

Sexy photo with link--3 points
Link to sex-related photo (with no photo on home page)--2 points
Video link with sexy photo--4 points
Link to sex-related video (with no video on home page)--3 points
Links to stories related to sex--1 point

So, what do I mean by "sexy" or "sex-related"? I mean anything that generally is about sex. For photos it has to be more than just a pretty face. For headlines/links it can be anything from celeb fashion to sex offender stories. This may be a little subjective but I try and look at each site in the same way so that hopefully at least I am consistent. I will try this on different days and look for trends. Here are the results for earlier today at about 11:30 a.m. EST:

ABC: 19
CBS: 8
CNN: 0
Fox: 8
MSNBC: 5

[I will note that although CNN has a score of 0, they cover sports through the very sexist Sports Illustrated.]

No comments: