Thursday, April 12, 2007

Nifong and the Duke Lacrosse case

Normally I like to compare how two web sites cover the same story. Usually this is CNN vs. Fox or DNC vs. RNC. In all cases I like to pay particular attention to specific words and terms that are used. Today, I want to just examine Mike Nifong's statement regarding the Duke lacrosse case after being slammed by the state attorney general. His statement can be found at: http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/images/04/12/0247.001.pdf


Here are some comments:


In the second paragraph he says “... it is important to remember that the Attorney General had the opportunity to review this legislation and to make this decision because I requested that he do so.” Surely he is trying to present himself in the best light possible but it comes across as a little disingenuous to me. I imagine he felt pressure to do what he did and was in effect forced to do so, although I cannot say for sure.


In the last paragraph he says: “To the extent that I made judgments that ultimately proved to be incorrect, I apologize to the three students that were wrongly accused.” I guess no one likes to admit they are wrong but I would just like for someone once to say “I blew it.” Nifong's wording softens the personal impact on himself as if to say “I was just making judgments and everyone knows that sometimes we make incorrect calls from time to time so I am sorry to some extent that my judgment may have been off.” He can blame his judgment if he wants but it sure seems that there is a lot more to it than that. I guess the state bar will figure that out.

No comments: